Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day

Today is the day after Memorial Day.

I would like to remember the trusting soldiers that were required to endure the testing of these bombs. There were many tests and many people exposed to these tests.

So for all the people who remember, or that have family that went through these tests, I wish you the best and hope we finally get some recognition.

A new link to the right, “Mike” Detonation, shows pictures and info about the 10.5 megaton “Mike” that was detonated on November 1, 1952, completely removing an entire island from the atoll. I am glad I was nowhere near when that went off.

Although 25 years later, I was cleaning up the mess caused by the bomb that shares my name.

5 Comments:

Blogger chillpaw said...

Wow. After a blast like that it's hard to imagine there was even anything left to clean up.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Debagger said...

Yes, all we needed was a spoon and a plastic ziplock baggie.

5:58 PM  
Blogger chillpaw said...

whew. good thing it was a ziplock so none of that harmful radiation could get out and hurt anyone!

3:26 AM  
Blogger VintagePurseGal said...

That's an idea. Maybe we should encase the entire Marshall Islands in Ziplock baggies.

I bet Christo would do it.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Big_Dog_Dad said...

Sorry to be the wet blanket....as funny as some of the comments are.
But remember the few of those guys that are left are dropping like flies. Is that going to be our future??? It's just something I thought about from time to time and on Memorial Day I always give it thought. Why on this day more than other, I don't know. Sorry to have been a wet blanket.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home